Trinity Church Register from 1840s

In the above slide show are images of several pages from the Church Register from 1840s that document the names of the enslaved communicants who were baptized, married and confirmed as members of Trinity of Abbeville. As we sift through the documents, we will release more pages as we find them.  This is an extremely rare find and we hope this helps their descendants today know more about their ancestors who worshiped in Trinity’s balcony prior to 1865.

Enslaved Members of Trinity of Abbeville

Owner: Mrs. Edwards of Whitehall
Presiding Minister: Reverend A.H. Cornish

Enslaved Name Date of Baptism
Jennet June 30, 1844
Bentley June 30, 1844
Daniel June 30, 1844
Phebe June 30, 1844
Harriet June 30, 1844
Edward June 30, 1844
Leonard June 30, 1844
Louisa June 30, 1844
Margaret June 30, 1844
Diana June 30, 1844
Abby June 30, 1844
Dye June 30, 1844
Handy June 30, 1844
George June 30, 1844
Sanders June 30, 1844
Natty June 30, 1844
Amanda September 7, 1845

Owner: Mr. J. W. Thomas

Enslaved Name Date of Baptism
Louis April 20, 1845
Diana April 20, 1845
Sally April 20, 1845
Sarah April 20, 1845
Sarah April 20, 1845
Amelia April 20, 1845
Befo April 20, 1845
Bianh April 20, 1845
Maria April 20, 1845
Nelly April 20, 1845
Peter April 20, 1845
Sam April 20, 1845
William April 20, 1845
Gabriel April 20, 1845
Limus April 20, 1845
Richard April 20, 1845
Matt March 8, 1846
Jim December 6, 1846
Stephen December 6, 1846
George December 6, 1846
Bob December 6, 1846
Lane December 6, 1846
Jandy December 6, 1846
Frank December 6, 1846
Solomon December 6, 1846
(Little) William December 6, 1846

Restore Trinity is a Project of Preservation South Carolina